Palace of Minos, Knossos
The Palace of Minos is the famous labyrinthine palace of the Minotaur and Theseus, Ariadne and her ball of string, Daedalus the architect and Icarus with his wax wings, among other legends. The Palace of Minos was the largest palace in the city of Knossos and was an early piece of New Palace architecture in Greece. Construction on the Palace of Minos, according to legends, began around 2000 BC, but it flourished between 1700 BCE and 1450 BCE when the Minoan civilization was at its height.
It was destroyed by an earthquake around 1700 BCE and the second palace (the one we actually think of when we think of the Palace of Minos) was built atop the ruins. It was the center of economy and religion on Crete with the King controlling everything in the city and around it. It was also the center of a lot of legends; the palace was made infamous by legends of King Minos and his Minotaur to whom seven virgin men and seven virgin females were sacrificed every nine years until Theseus killed it.
In actuality, the palace was very much like a labyrinth with narrow twisting corridors and a lot of rooms. In total, the palace covered around 22,000 square meters and was made from masonry, clay rubble and half timbers with plenty of columns and frescoed walls.
Not a lot is known about the Minoan civilization or the Palace of Minos save what can be gathered from legends, Greek writings, and the writing and art on the reconstructed palace. It’s not known who commissioned the original building of the palace or later reconstructions for example. The modern reconstruction was done by Sir Arthur Evans who excavated the original ruins and touched them up quite a bit.